Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Lemon bars! Don't be fooled into thinking these are tough!


Okay..someday I will actually like write a blog about whats going on in my life. We've got a new building, we moved. We're going to conference. People flake, people come, people are people. We have two rockin' stand up gentlemen who have completely devoted their lives to Jesus and to being discipled and available. Jesus is still moving despite my frequently filthy attitude. I am still baking up a storm (I'll post a pic soon of some AMAZING cookie tins I found at Michaels) for new people we heckle on follow up. AND! A month or so ago, I wanted lemon bars so I made some. I have always loved lemon bars, but they always seemed so haughty and very far above my meager housewifely status, so I never attempted to even look at a recipe. Lemme just say, these are one of the EASIEST desserts I've ever made. For reals. So give it a shot. They will rock your socks off. Perfectly tart, delightfully sweet on top and did I mention they look incredibly classy?! Well they do.
(To sprinkle the top with powdered sugar, I like to dump a cup in a wire mesh strainer and just tap it or shake it above the bars, BE GENEROUS! It may seem like a light dusting will be enough, but to really taste any of that nice sweetness in contrast to the tartness of the lemon, put a good coating on!)

1½ hours | 30 min prep

24 Bars

Shortbread Base

3/4 cup butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
Topping

4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
Shortbread Base:Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut butter into 1/2 inch pieces.
In food processor(Or if your normal like me and don't have one, then just use a large mixing bowl and cut very cold butter into the mix), process all ingredients until mixture begins to form small lumps.
Press mixture evenly into 9x13 baking pan.
Bake in middle of oven until golden, about 20 minutes.
While shortbread is baking, prepare topping.
Topping: In bowl whisk together eggs and granulated sugar until combined well.
Stir in lemon juice and flour.
Pour lemon mixture over hot shortbread base.
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees and bake in middle of oven until set, about 30 minutes.
Let cool completely in pan then sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

you're going to conference!!! check out the latest in my blog to see why we need to at least say HI!!! :)