Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The gentle art of domesticity...


"If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." -- Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

Ever since I became a wife and mother I've become obsessed with domesticity..in this era, the feminist rule, and the housewife is a silly little girl who is wasting her brain and silently suffering in her status in societys totem pole. Not so...This job is the most cherished occupation I have ever been involved in. I have never worked so hard, been so tried or so rewarded. I can't wait to get this book, its the one pictured above, its called "The gentle art of domesticity"...saving up for a good sale, it looks darling! This woman has simply devoted herself to this gentle wonderful art of homemaking...and it is a skill to be sure. And this blog is the sweetest thing, a mother and wife who loves her job... I've had to literally fight back against the ridiculous stigma that I am simply, "a homemaker"...does anyone realize what that means? I literally make my little place in this world, a home...a refuge, a shelter, for my babies and my husband, and its no small task. This great occupation is not for the weak or the easily broken. Its a forged and fought for, success. So many women forget that before they are mothers, they are wives...my husband was my first obligtion...these little wild things demand more of my time and physically aren't capable of existing without me...but my darling hero who works so hard, puts up with so much, was the original owner of this heart and I owe it to him to never forget that. It means so much to him to have a house that is warm and loved... one that his wife has poured her heart into. It calms him so much when I take time to prepare a meal for him, when I care about being frugal,and when I quite simply, make myself his completely. I am his and he is mine. So anyway...I've looked through little exerpts of this book and it touched that part of me that exists in every woman, that gentle, domestic, i need a man to take care of me, part...and truly, I believe its the part of womanhood that truly should flourish iside of me...and if I don't succeed at another thing in this lifetime...if I am the mother and wife that God made me to be, I will have lived a grand, happy life indeed.

"I looked on child rearing not only as a work of love and duty but as a profession that was fully as interesting and challenging as any honorable profession in the world and one that demanded the best I could bring to it." -- Rose Kennedy

2 comments:

Patti said...

i'm going to have to check this book out, thanks for the suggestion!

Patti said...

are you so excited about the foleys??